The Intensive English Program is part of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and is located on campus at 413 Brook Avenue in Lafayette, Louisiana. The mission of the program is to provide intensive English language instruction to adult non-native English speakers who have the goal of entering American universities or improving their ability to use English for professional purposes. Students range in age from 17 to 60 plus and typically come from more than twelve countries.
The IEP is an intensive English program that focuses on English for academic purposes. This program offers:
- 6 levels of instruction (Beginner - Advanced)
- Grammar, Writing, Reading and Listening/Speaking courses
- Mon. - Fri. classes from 9:00 am - 12:50 pm (20 hrs/wk)
- 8 week sessions in January, March, June, August & October
Due to the intensive nature of the program, there is the expectation of approximately 20 hours of outside 'homework' per week. Successful completion of level 6 and passing of the program exit exam allows the TOEFL to be waived for application into University of Louisiana at Lafayette undergraduate programs and some graduate programs.
Special features include:
- Small class size
- Friendly, helpful and experienced staff and faculty
- Access to all university facilities such as computer labs and recreational facilities
- Trips to interesting places in Louisiana
- Opportunities to meet Americans and visit university classrooms
- Conversation hours and International Hours
- IEP-UL Lafayette Exit Exam to apply to enter UL Lafayette